$5 DIY Solar Shields for your CarMarch 6, 2023 2023-03-26 22:58
$5 DIY Solar Shields for your Car
Building DIY solar shields for your car is a pretty simple modification that can make a huge difference in your life!
I live in Darwin (it’s hot all year round), so my car spends a lot of time in the hot sun and keeping the heat out of your car is so important.
Plus I spend a lot of time in my car each day, so I really like to keep my car cool.
If this sounds like you, it might be worth thinking about solar shields for your car!
Benefits of Solar Screens
- Better cooling in your car, your aircon won’t have to work as hard.
- Less aircon use = better fuel economy, which is better for the environment and your wallet.
- Better sound deadening, honestly you’ll be surprised by the difference.
- Reduce crime by hiding your valuables, if criminals can’t see what is in the back of your car, they can’t steal it.
Cons of Solar Screens
The only real downsides to solar screens are, reduced visibility and they don’t look amazing. But sometimes that is the price you have to pay.
How to make DIY Solar Screens
Here is our step by step guide, or you can just watch the video!
- Purchase a solar reflector for a few dollars at Kmart or Supercheap.
- Place the solar reflector against the car window you want it to fit, and trace along the edge roughly.
- Using a stanley knife, cut this shape out and then take it back to the window and trace it again – further refining the design.
- Finally once you’re happy with the shape, determine how you will mount the solar shield. Mine held in place by pressure, but you might need to install a few suction cups to keep yours in place.
Can you make your own solar screen?
The simple answer is yes!
You need to find the right components and start joining them all together. Feel free to copy how I did it, but I am sure there are better ways to do it as well.
If you enjoyed this article and information – please consider checking out our ecommerce shop and purchasing a product!